Adding a Tool
The BioExtract Server offers registered users the ability to add analytic tools to their BioExtract Server workspace. Users may select such tools from a list of web services, including EMBOSS SoapLab, BioMoby and KEGG. BioExtract Server also offers generic support for other SOAP-based web services and lets users add local command line tools residing on their own workstations through the use of a client-side Java applet.
To add a SoapLab, BioMoby and KEGG tool to your account:
- From the Tools page, in the left panel, click Add a New Tool located beneath the Available Tools list. A new list containing BioMoby Tools, Soaplab Tools and KEGG Tools will appear. You can browse these tools as a guest, but if you want to add any of these tools to your BioExtract Server workspace, you must have an account and be signed in.
- Click the plus signs to look through the tools for the one you need or enter a keyword in the Search box. Matches will highlight in orange.
- When you find the tool you want, select it. Tool details will appear in the right panel. Click the Save Tool button to add the tool to your BioExtract Server workspace. You will find the newly added tool in Available Tools > My Tools.
Other important information
- Adding a local command line tool which resides on your own workstation requires that you have a
good understanding of how that tool works.
Read Adding your own tool into BioExtract for
- To delete a previously added tool, click Customize Your
Tools located below Add a New Tool. Click My Tools and select the
tool you want to delete. The selected tool will appear in the right panel. Click the Delete Tool button. The tool is removed from your workspace.
- To modify a previously added tool, click Customize Your Tools located below Add a New Tool. Click My Tools and select the tool you want to modify. The selected tool will appear in the right panel. Click the Edit link to the right of the tool name. A form opens in which you can change the Logical Name, Description and HelpURL. Once you've made your changes, click the Save link at the top of the form, and then click the Save Tool Changes button located at the bottom of the form to complete the process.
- If tool details don’t appear after selecting a tool, it is possible that the web service is down. If this happens, try adding the tool later. If the problem continues, contact us through BioExtract Server Feedback! located in the top right corner of every page.